Halloween Chocolate Pudding Dirt Cake layers chocolate pudding over a chocolate cake before being finished off with a frosting and fun toppings! This festive cake will be an absolute hit at this year’s Halloween Party!
Halloween is the perfect time to indulge in some spooky and delicious treats, and one of the most popular desserts for this occasion is the chocolate dirt cake. This delicious cake looks just like a pot of dirt, but don’t let its appearance fool you – it’s packed with rich chocolate flavor and satisfying crunch.
To make a Halloween chocolate dirt cake, you’ll need several layers of different ingredients. The bottom layer is typically made of a chocolate cake, which is baked and crumbled into small pieces to create the “dirt.” Then, a layer of whipped cream or pudding is added on top of the cake crumbles, followed by another layer of cake crumbles. Finally, the cake is topped with gummy worms or other creepy-crawly candy to give it a realistic, Halloween feel.
What is a “Dirt Cake”?
It’s a “cake” made from a combination of chocolate pudding, cool whip and cream cheese. You add crushed Oreos on top to make it look like dirt!
Usually, you’d add things like gummy worms to the pudding to double down on the garden dirt theme.
Kids always love dirt cake. Decorating this dessert was a blast; this would be a great recipe for kids to help make.
Ingredients to make Halloween Chocolate Pudding Dirt Cake
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
6 ounces chocolate pudding mix
2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
26 Oreo Cookies, crushed into crumbs
10 ounces gummy worms
How to make Halloween Chocolate Pudding Dirt Cake
Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking pan with baking spray.
- In a stand mixer on low speed mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla then add it to the stand mixer on low then medium speed until just combined, and finally add in the hot coffee carefully and stir it in by hand until just combined (do not turn on the mixer, it may splash on you).
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes then remove, let cool completely and frost with the chocolate frosting.
- Whisk together the pudding mix and milk until smooth.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Pour over completely cooled cake.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and whisk in the cocoa powder then remove from the heat and let cool.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixer to your stand mixer and whip on medium speed adding the powdered sugar and milk, alternating them ⅓ at a time, and finally add the vanilla in last.
- If the frosting is too thick, add a bit more milk.
Top with crushed Oreos and gummy worms.
To make your dirt cake even more spooky, you can add a few drops of green food coloring to the pudding or whipped cream layer to make it look even more like grass or moss. You can also add other decorations like fake spiders or tombstones to really amp up the fright factor.
Overall, Halloween chocolate dirt cake is a fun and creative dessert that’s perfect for any Halloween party or gathering. Whether you’re a fan of chocolate or just love the eerie vibe of the season, this delicious cake is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and get you in the mood for some spooky fun.
If you love dirt pudding, this chocolate pudding cake is dense and delicious!