Keto Basque Cheesecake (tarta de queso) is a light and delicious burnt cheesecake. A creamy custard cheesecake that offers a buttery caramel flavor in each bite. This crustless cheesecake is one you will love to try out!
This Spanish cheesecake is rustic, which is a part of its charm. With the top looking like burnished gold and a creamy middle this Basque classic is absolutely irresistible. It’s also pretty much impossible to mess up!
Baking this cheesecake is the perfect choice if you feel intimidated by making traditional cheesecakes that comes with the pressure of water bath, whether it will crack or shrink, over or underbakes…
This style of cheesecake originates in the Basque region (which consists of 4 provinces in Northern Spain and 3 provinces in Southern France). A Basque Cheesecake is also known in Spain as ‘tarta de queso.’ It is famous for its burnt surface and amazing flavor. It is uniquely light yet creamy, caramelized and delicious, cheesecake that is super easy to make that it is nearly foolproof!
Ingredients to make Keto Basque Cheesecake
- Cream cheese
- Powdered Sweetener
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
- Coconut flour
How to make Keto Basque Cheesecake
- Preheat the oven to 450F and line a 6-inch cake pan with parchment paper so that the parchment sticks up above the sides of the pan.
- Place the cream cheese and sweeteners in a food processor and blend until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and blend until smooth.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla and blend until smooth, then add the coconut flour and blend until combined. Again be sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the food processor bowl so there are not unblended chunks.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, until the top is a rich golden brown and the center just jiggles slightly.
- Remove and let cool 1 hour, then transfer to the fridge until completely chilled, about 2 more hours.
Tips to make the best Keto Basque Cheesecake
- You can make the cheesecake up to 1-2 days ahead of needing to serve it.
- Need to speed up the softened cream cheese? Microwave for 20 seconds at 50% power. Stir, and then repeat until the cream cheese is just softened. You do not want the cream cheese to melt.
- Use room temperature cream cheese to make mixing easier.
- Your oven may cook faster than others, check cheesecake around 50 minutes. If it is not burnt looking keep cooking for 5 minute increments at a time.
- Do serve this cheesecake with a sugar-free fruit compote. It brightens and balances out its rich flavour.
- Don’t be intimidated that cheesecake is impossible to make at home, especially one looks like this. On contrary, cheesecake in general and this one alone, are both achievable at home.
CAN YOU MAKE BURNT BASQUE CHEESECAKE AHEAD?
This is a perfect keto cheesecake for making a day in advance, because of its unique dense quality. I honestly think I enjoyed it more the second day.
Wrap the cheesecake up tightly, and it’s good for up to 4 or 5 days in the fridge. Store any leftovers wrapped up tightly as well.