Keto Lemon Curd Tart is a sweet and tangy dessert made with a tender almond crust filled with creamy and zesty lemon custard. Perfect to serve to your guests or to your family. They’re as adorable as they are delicious!
The custard is made with fresh lemon juice, eggs, sweetener and butter, which give the tart a refreshing and bright flavor that is perfect for any occasion. The tart is traditionally decorated with a dusting of powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream, and can be served chilled or at room temperature.
The tart is a classic dessert that is loved by many and is often served as a delicious ending to a meal or as a special treat with coffee or tea. Whether you’re a fan of citrusy desserts or just looking for something sweet and refreshing, a lemon tart is the perfect choice!
What is Lemon Curd?
Lemon curd is a delightful and zesty spread, made from just a few simple ingredients. It’s tangy and sweet, with a smooth and creamy texture that melts in your mouth. One of the most popular ways to enjoy lemon curd is spread over fresh scones, but it’s also a great addition to cakes, tarts, and pastries.
To make lemon curd, you’ll need fresh lemons, a sweetener of your choice, butter, and egg yolks. The lemons are juiced and zested, and then mixed with sugar and butter over low heat until the sugar dissolves. The egg yolks are then added, and the mixture is whisked constantly until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. The lemon curd is then strained to remove any lumps or bits of cooked egg.
The result is a beautifully smooth and shiny lemon curd that can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. It’s a great way to add a burst of citrus flavor to your morning toast or afternoon tea. Not only is it tasty, but it’s also surprisingly simple to make at home. Give it a try and see for yourself!
Ingredients to make Keto Lemon Curd Tart
For the Crust
- Almond flour
- Sea salt
For the Filling
- Mascarpone cheese
- Low carb powdered sweetener
- Lemon zest
- Lemon Curd
For the Lemon Curd
- Low Carb sweetener
How to make Keto Lemon Curd Tart
- Preheat the oven to 325F and lightly grease a 10-inch tart pan.
- Combine all of the crust ingredients in a medium bowl, and press firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Prick all over with a fork and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and let cool completely.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the lemon curd.
- In a glass or ceramic bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, whisk together the eggs, sweeteners, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Whisk continuously until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Watch carefully as it will thicken all of a sudden.
- Immediately remove from heat and add the butter. Let sit a few minutes to melt and then whisk until smooth and creamy. Let cool at least 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the mascarpone with the powdered sweetener until well combined. Beat in the lemon zest and lemon extract.
- Add ½ cup of the cooled lemon curd and beat until smooth. Spread the filling in the cooled crust. Freeze 1 hour to set.
- Spread the remaining lemon curd over the filling and chill for another 3 hours to set before serving.
CAN YOU MAKE THIS LOW-CARB LEMON TART IN ADVANCE?
You can make the tart crust in advance. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days, unfilled.
Freeze the tart crust for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge.
You can make the lemon curd and fill the crust, then keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Because you are using erythritol to sweeten the curd, it may start to crystalize within a few days.
Freeze the filled tart for up to 1 month.