These Heart-Shaped Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies are exactly what you need for your special someone this Valentine’s Day. If you need an easy Valentine’s dessert that is sure to wow your sweetheart (and make your kids smile) these strawberry Nutella heart-shaped hand pies come together quickly and taste decadent. Enjoy!
We’re still in the cold of January but I’m already thinking of what to make on my special dinner on Valentine’s Day!
In the last weekend, I was at the grocery store for my weekly shopping trip when my oldest son called me asking me to buy the ingredients to make a dessert with Nutella. At this time I was at the refrigerated case, I look above and saw some pre-made pie crusts… At that moment I saw these Heart- Shaped Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies in my mind. Since Valentine’s Day is looming ever closer, we decided to put Valentine’s twist on them. What a great idea for a fun Sunday afternoon project with the help of my kids.
Heart-Shaped Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies are the perfect pie for the month of hearts and love and red. These mini heart-shaped hand pies are the perfect Valentine’s treat! I bet you your kids would love to help you decorate these for their classmates! You can fill them with whatever jam you want and they’re just so darn cute. I also love how easy they are to make. It literally takes no time because of the pre-made pie crust.
Ingredients to make Heart-Shaped Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies
2 package prepared pastry dough
How to make Heart-Shaped Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out your pie crust to about 1/8″ thick & cut out as many hearts as you can. After you’re done with one sheet, use up the other sheet, then combine the two cut-out sheets together and re-roll it out to create more.
- Place half the hearts onto a lined baking sheet.
- With a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, add strawberry jam into the center of some hearts, and Nutella into the center of the others. Then place the other half of the heart crust on top. Using your fingers, wipe egg-milk wash around the edge of the heart.
- Using the ends of a fork, press the edges together. Using a sharp knife, make a tiny X in the middle of the hearts to let steam escape.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the hearts with egg and add brown sugar.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes on the upper rack in the oven, or however long your package says to bake the pie crusts. You’ll want a golden brown top.
- Remove and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Whisk together sugar, vanilla extract, and milk. If too thin, add more icing sugar. If too thick, add more milk.
- If you want white glaze plus a pink glaze, divide glaze into two bowls and drop pink gel-food coloring into one bowl and mix.
- After pies are completely cooled, drizzle them with glaze. Enjoy!
Can you replace the Strawberries with another fruit/berry?
Not feelin’ strawberries? Go ahead and instead use fresh blueberries, cherries, peaches, raspberries, triple berries, all of the above! The filling is totally interchangeable.
If you bake these Heart Shaped Strawberry Hand Pies, Let me know how they turned out in the comments below. And you should totally post a picture of them and tag me on Instagram!