This Keto Low Carb Beef Stew recipe is the ultimate in keto comfort food. Rich, beefy, and full of all of the flavors you crave, this stew will quickly become a family favorite! You’ll never believe this is a low carb stew recipe.
Beef stew is one of my favorite dishes to make in the cold weather months. It’s incredibly hearty and perfectly flavorful. Making beef stew without flour or thickeners reduces carbs while intensifying the overall flavor. To make it truly low carb, choosing low carb vegetables is a must. But properly cooking the stew is equally important. The ideal low carb stew should feature fork-tender beef and tender (not mushy) vegetables in a meaty tasting broth.
Thankfully, this beef stew allows me to indulge without feeling any guilt!
That’s fine if you’ve got the time, but this keto beef stew recipe takes stew from a special-occasion weekend dinner to totally doable on a weeknight.
This easy keto beef stew takes just 15 minutes to prepare and some simmer time on the stove.
Can you use chicken brothin a Beef Stew?
You can! If you prefer chicken stock/broth or already have that in your pantry, feel free to use that. It won’t taste chicken… it will be just fine.
Low Carb Vegetables for Keto Beef Stew
The best low carb vegetables for beef stew are celery, mushrooms, green beans, celery root, turnips, rutabaga, and radishes. Some people like to add zucchini and summer squash.
Food should be appealing, so I include one medium carrot. Carrot produces small irregular-shaped chips that provide a pop of color throughout. Green beans are a great sub for peas and add color and variation in shape. Replacing starchy potatoes with less starchy root vegetables like radish, turnip, rutabaga, and celery root (celeriac) is a great low carb trick.
HOW TO THICKEN BEEF STEW
This beef stew keto recipe doesn’t need any thickeners! It thickened up really nicely all on its own.
But, if you want it more of the consistency of gravy, you can add some gelatin. Here is how to do that after your keto stew is done cooking:
- In a medium bowl, sprinkle 1 tbsp gelatin over 1/3 cup water and let sit to bloom for 2-3 minutes.
- Ladle 1 cup hot liquid from the soup and whisk into the gelatin mixture until dissolved.
- Stir the gelatin mixture back into the pot of soup.
Ingredients to make Keto Low Carb Beef Stew
- Beef chuck stew meat (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Olive oil (divided)
- Onion (diced)
- Carrots (peeled, sliced into 1/4-inch-thick-circles)
- Garlic cloves (minced)
- Italian seasoning
- Beef bone broth
- Diced tomatoes
- Bay leaves
How to Make this Keto Low Carb Beef Stew
- Season the beef with salt and pepper. (It will be a light amount because the broth will be salty.)
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the beef in a single layer. (Work in batches if you can’t get the beef in a single layer on the bottom of the pan.)
- Sear for about 8-10 minutes total per batch, moving only every few minutes after each side has well browned. Remove the beef and set aside on a plate.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the same dutch oven. Add the onions and carrots. Saute for about 10 minutes, until soft and lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Saute for about a minute, until fragrant.
- Place the beef back into the dutch oven. Add the broth, diced tomatoes, and whole bay leaves. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Bring the beef stew to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 45-60 minutes, until beef is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves. Adjust salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Amount per serving
Calories: 410 | Fat: 22g | Protein: 36g | Total Carbs: 14g | Net Carbs: 11g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4G