Apple Coffee Cake is a great way to start your day. Easy Caramel Apple Coffee Cake features a coconut sugar cinnamon apple cake a vegan coconut caramel sauce. It’s the perfect simple fall treat EVERYONE will love!
I love apple based baked goods in the fall when apples are in season. There is nothing cozier than the smell of warm apples and cinnamon in the oven! Apple pie, apple crisp, apple cobbler…I’ll take them all!
This Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake is tender, moist and free of grains and dairy products. It’s sweetened with and coconut sugar. This apple coffee cake with vegan caramel sauce is gluten and dairy-free, paleo.
Apple Coffe cake It’s one of those delightful fall recipes that will go over great with any group. Not to mention it stays moist and flavorful for days so you can make it ahead of time! Or hoard it for yourself to enjoy daily until it’s all gone. (I don’t know anything about that…)
Ingredients to make Paleo Apple Coffee Cake
- Coconut sugar
- Vanilla paste or extract
- Coconut oil melted
- Almond flour
- Arrowroot starch or tapioca starch
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- Grated nutmeg
- Bbaking soda
- Cream of tartar
- Apples about 2 medium sized apples (Honey Crisp, Gala or Fuji)
- Toasted walnuts chopped
For the caramel sauce
- Full fat coconut milk
- Coconut sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to make Paleo Apple Coffee Cake?
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Using a hand mixer beat the eggs with the coconut sugar and vanilla until fluffy and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the melted coconut oil and beat just to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl mix in the almond flour and arrowroot starch along with the ground cinnamon, ground cloves, grated nutmeg, baking soda and cream of tartar, and salt.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the flour mixture and beat on medium for 30 seconds to incorporate.
- Peel and grate the apples and squeeze out all of the excess moisture. Measure one cup of the grated and squeezed apples and add it to the batter.
- Mix well and pour into a 9-inch round springform baking pan lined on the bottom with parchment paper.
- Bake in 375F oven for 38-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. The edges of the cake should be deep brown in color.
- For the caramel sauce, place the coconut milk, coconut sugar and a couple of pinches of salt in a small pot and bring to boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer on low for about 40-50 minutes while stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. The sauce will reduce and turn deep caramel color. It’s done when it coats the back of the spoon. Keep in mind that it will thicken a little more once it cools down.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla paste or extract and set aside to cool. Makes about 8oz of caramel sauce.
- Once both cake and sauce have cooled down, drizzle the caramel sauce all over the cake and top with chopped toasted walnuts. Serve!
How to store coffee cake?
This recipes stays SUPER moist for days after you bake it. I actually find the flavors intensify over time as well. Store covered at room temperature for up to 4 days. Serve at room temperature or warm. Reheat in the microwave if desired.
You can also freeze before drizzling the caramel on top. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Defrost at room temperature then refresh in a 300°F oven until warmed through.