This Homemade Cheesy Sausage and Ham Bread is a perfect combination between gooey cheese and a juicy sausage that makes a delicious lunch or an appetizer for kids and adults. Kids that love sausages will surely love to take this to school or otherwise have it as a hearty breakfast with a cup of beverage.
Making at home this Cheesy Sausage and Ham Bread is much easier than you think. Once you realize just how easy it is you just might spoil yourself or your kids with this fun appetizer or lunch more often than you should.
I created the recipe by experimenting with a few simple ingredients my family loves. It makes a delicious hot sandwich in no time. The texture and flavor of this bread were absolutely delicious.
Ingredients to make Homemade Cheesy Sausage & Ham Bread
How to make this Homemade Cheesy Sausage & Ham Bread
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a hook attachment, combine the yeast and warm water. Stir it around and let sit for 5 minutes until the mixture is foamy. If the yeast doesn’t dissolve or foam, your yeast is dead. Start again with active yeast.
- Add flour, sugar, olive oil, and salt. Mix by hand or with the dough hook on low speed for 1 minute. Once all of the ingredients are mixed, slowly knead for 7 minutes by hand or with your dough hook on low-medium speed. If your dough is too wet, add up to 1/4 cup more flour. After kneading, your dough should be smooth and elastic. Poke it with your finger – if it slowly bounces back, your dough is ready to rise. If not, keep kneading.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl that has been greased lightly with olive oil. Turn it over to coat all sides. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm environment (about 75°F or 80°F/24°C or 27°C)* for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Once risen, punch the dough down to release the air. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Flatten with your fingers or use a rolling pin. It doesn’t have to be perfect rectangle.
- Transfer flattened dough to the baking sheets. Place the ketchup, cheese, sausage and ham (2 slices for each) on top of the dough on one side, then fold the other side over top. Pinch the edges to seal as best you can. Use a fork to crimp the edges. Brush the tops and side with egg wash, then slice into 8 pieces.
- Bake the dough for 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Make sure to rotate the baking sheet once or twice during bake time. Remove pockets from the oven and allow to cool on the pan until ready to handle and serve.
Can I freeze this Homemade Cheesy Sausage & Ham Bread
You can freeze the homemade bread, which is what I do. After it cool, wrap them individually in aluminum foil and freeze. Then microwave for 2-3 minutes on high or bake at 350°F (177°C) for 20 minutes. No need to thaw.
These bread rolls are perfect for breakfast, dinner or even snack time and it will definitely create a memorable taste for you and your family.