These Garlic Butter Mushrooms with onions are the PERFECT versatile side dish for steak, burgers, chicken or pork! Mushrooms and Onions are an easy, savory side dish you can whip up about 10 minutes before you are going to eat them.
I love love, love mushrooms. My love of mushrooms knows no bounds. Not only are they absolutely delicious, but they also have a long list of health benefits! Mushrooms help to support your immune system because they contain a super powerful antioxidant called selenium. And in addition to that, they’re full of B vitamins, protein, and fiber!
We all have certain foods we dislike, but mushrooms definitely aren’t one of them. I’m always on the search for new ways to get my mushroom recipes.
Sauteed Mushrooms is one of the best and quick ways to cook mushrooms. Sauteed with onion they get a wonderful flavor. Adding some wine too makes them totally irresistible. The flavors blend so well and sauteing gets them such a beautiful brown color.
The best part is that sauteing takes only a few minutes to prepare, and you can have a delicious meal in a very short time. You can find so many ways to serve them with.
Mushrooms are not only cost-effective but healthy and low in carbs. Combined with perfectly seasoned and saute onions, garlic, and of course any other varied herbs and spices you love, you can serve sauteed mushrooms and onions as a stand-alone or a complimentary classic side dish recipe.
How to clean mushrooms?
When cleaning mushrooms, you want to wipe them down or very gently rinse them instead of soaking them in water. Mushrooms absorb water and can become mushy, so it is not a good idea to let them take on too much water.
If using whole mushrooms, before slicing, wipe each mushroom down with a damp paper towel. You can gently rinse the mushrooms under cool water, but you must dry them with paper towels completely after rinsing. Don’t let them soak!
Properly cleaning mushrooms rather than allowing them to soak will give you perfectly browned mushrooms for your sauteed onions and mushrooms.
Ingredients to make Garlic Butter Mushrooms and Onions
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Olive oil
- White wine or chicken stock
- Lemon juice and zest
- Chili flakes
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
How to make Garlic Butter Mushrooms and Onions
- Brush the mushrooms clean. Trim the bottoms of the stems of the mushrooms if dried out. Keep the mushrooms whole, or if they are large, cut them in half.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil then add onions. Cook and stir until they start to brown & caramelize about 3-5 minutes.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of the butter, let it melt a bit, then and then add mushrooms and garlic. Cook until lightly caramelized and softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add stock or wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, and chili flakes. Cook for about 2 minutes or until liquid reduces down a bit.
- Add remaining 2 Tablespoons butter and chopped parsley, cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Don’t forget to let me know how your Garlic Sautéed Balsamic Mushroom and Onions recipe turns out!