This is a low carb version of Apple Crisp. This is made with zucchini, lemon, and apple spices. This is the best apple crisp you will ever eat.
Now that fall has come I miss the smell of apples and cinnamon around the house. Everyone here loves apple crisp or cobble served with a spoon of Greek yogurt. It´s a classic. And because the combo of warm fruit crisp and cold vanilla ice cream or yogurt gets me every single time.
Keto Apple Crisp is made with zucchini. The best substitute for apples is zucchini, and the best ones to use are the small zucchini if possible. I prefer using small green zucchini’s. Zucchini can have the same taste of apples by adding some lemon juice, the right spices, and some low carb sweetener. This way you get the taste you love without adding all the carbs.
Most of you don´t believe that zucchini can taste just like apples. But believe in me. This is true. Apple pie spices and lemon juice makes the difference. I have made this apple crisp so many times now and so far, no one has figured out it isn’t apples.
What I also so love about keto apple crisp is that it’s made with easy, simple ingredients that you likely already have around the house. You can throw everything together without any fancy skills, ingredients or equipment – and you end up with the most delicious, comforting, cinnamon filled dessert around.
Ingredients to make Keto Apple Crisp?
- Lemon juice
- Sweetener (Lakanto Monkfruit Sweetener)
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg
- Almond flour
How to make Keto Apple Crisp?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, such as cast iron, cook the zucchini and lemon juice over medium heat until the zucchini has softened, about 20 minutes. Drain excess liquid from the skillet, if needed.
- Stir in the sweetener, cinnamon, and nutmeg to coat the zucchini.
- Add the almond flour, melted butter, sweetener, and cinnamon to a small bowl and stir well to form moist crumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping over the zucchini.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes before serving.
How to serve Keto Apple Crip?
In my opinion, a Keto Apple Crisp should be served warm, but not hot. It should be warm enough to slowly melt that big scoop of vanilla ice cream that I am undoubtedly placing on top. For me, I prefer to eat it with Greek yogurt.
Can you eat leftovers?
Place leftovers in the refrigerator. You can eat the leftovers cold, straight from the fridge (breakfast of champions), or you can reheat it in the microwave to warm it up again.