This Easy Keto Low Carb Beef Stroganoff recipe is quick to make and tastes amazing. In less than 30 minutes you can have your dinner on the table. It´s perfect for busy weeknights and kids will love it too.
Once you try this simple skillet recipe you’ll realize this homestyle dinner doesn’t require anything fancy or expensive cuts of steak. It’s rich and creamy comfort food you’ll want to make on repeat!
Originating in Russia, Beef Stroganoff or Stroganov is a dish of sauteed beef served with smetana (a European soured cream). We’ve cut the carbs in it to create this delicious keto version.
No canned soups or ready-made packets of anything, and no coating the beef with any flour. Just a beautiful, silky cream sauce with a hint of wine aromas gently simmering away on the stove.
To avoid chewy beef, make sure to only sear the strips of meat for a short amount of time – that way they stay tender. Just two simple rules for juicy, tender beef: using the right cut…
The best cut of meat for beef and mushroom stroganoff
The best cuts of beef for stroganoff are tender, juicy cuts such as boneless rib eye, boneless sirloin, sirloin steak tips or beef tenderloin. They stay tender during the cooking process without drying out and causing overly chewy pieces of meat in your sauce.
There are so many different variations of Beef Stroganoff: some with or without sour cream, and some using brandy instead of wine. During testing, my family, friends, and everyone who tried it absolutely loved this version the most. I also include Dijon mustard in this one. And don´t forget to make this sauce pretty much perfection.
And another tip is the 30 Second Sear. A super quick sear in a smoking hot skillet. And when I say super quick, I truly mean it. 30 seconds on each side, if you miss some pink bits too bad!
Leftover beef stroganoff can be stored in the fridge for up to 1 week or frozen for up to 3 months. To reheat place the keto beef stroganoff in a saucepan over low heat or use the low power option on your microwave.
Ingredients to make Keto Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds sirloin steak cut into cubes
- 1/2 diced onion
- 6 ounces white mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
How to make Keto Low Carb Beef Stroganoff
- Heat butter or ghee to medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Add the meat to the pan, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until browned. Remove from the pan and allow to rest.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add broth, and mustard Dijon mustard and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until thickened. Whisk.
- Return the beef to the pan, and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and cook until heated through, being careful not to allow it to boil.
Serve over low carb zucchini noodles or mashed cauliflower.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 293kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 692mg | Potassium: 539mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 2mg