These Keto Low Carb Red Velvet Cupcakes are soft, light, moist, and topped with an easy and delicious Mascarpone cheese frosting. Perfect for any occasion! They’d be great for any time, but with some super cute heart decorations, these babies are all decked out for Valentine’s Day!
Raise your hands who loves Red Velvet cupcakes? Definitely, I do and I ended up making two batches of red velvet cupcakes.
They may look fancy but they are easy to make! The cupcakes themselves are made by combining the dry ingredients, then the wet ingredients (minus the water) and then combining them together. You really wouldn’t even need a mixer, if you didn’t want to bother. A big whisk would do the job just fine. A thin batter makes mixing easy.
What sweetener do I use?
I use Swerve granulated for the cake part and Swerve confectioners for the mascarpone cheese frosting.
What flour did I use as an alternative to refined flour?
I tend to like the almond flour version better. It bakes up much smoother and is prettier and is closer to the original red velvet cake.
Plus, you’ll need red food coloring to give your cupcakes a burst of red! Either liquid or gel food coloring will work for this recipe.
To achieve the level of brightness of my cupcakes, you’ll need:
- about 1 tablespoon of liquid food coloring
- or about 1 teaspoon of gel food coloring
Once the frosting is added, the sides of the frosting are dipped into sprinkles
Greek Yogurt is absolutely essential when it comes to baking red velvet cupcakes. It adds a trademark tangy flavor to the cupcakes. It also makes them moist and fluffy. So you really don’t want to skip it!
When done right, red velvet cake has a smooth velvety texture with soft buttery crumbs. It has just a hint of cocoa without overpowering chocolate flavor. And what really completes these cupcakes is, of course, sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting. These keto red velvet cupcakes will leave you satisfied and smiling.
Ingredients to make these keto Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Almond flour
- Granulated erythritol
- Baking powder
- Cocoa powder
- Butter (melted)
- Greek Yogurt
- Vanilla extract
- Red food coloring as needed
- Mascarpone Cheese
- Powdered Sweetener
- Heavy Cream
How to make Keto Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners or a mini-muffin pan with 36 liners. Parchment paper liners work the best for making sure the cupcakes don’t stick.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients: almond flour, erythritol, baking powder, and cocoa powder.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, then add the heavy cream, coconut/almond milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and liquid stevia and mix together well. Add the food coloring until it’s a nice red color, not pink.
- Add the red liquid mixture to the dry mixture and make sure everything is mixed together well, but don’t over mix. It should be a nice red-ish chocolate color.
- Fill the cupcake cups with the batter until each one is almost all the way full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or so, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean. Let cool.
- Once cooled, frost the cupcakes with cream cheese icing and preferred decorations.
These cupcakes are super moist, fluffy and totally delicious! A great treat to share – or keep to yourself!
I hope you find many wonderful keto desserts here. Please follow me on Instagram and if you make the recipe, tag me.
Amount Per serving
Calories: 263 | Fat: 23.7g | :Carbs 13g | Fiber: 2.8g | Protein: 7.3g |Net Carbs: 2.2g