This easy to make Low Carb side dish can be served in under 15 minutes, and is perfect to make in advance and for meal prepping. It makes a perfect busy weeknight side!
I’m constantly looking for creative ways to prepare cauliflower because it’s a great side dish for a Keto diet. It’s very healthy, packed with nutrients, fiber and antioxidants, there are many health benefits to cauliflower. It makes a great Low Carb substitute.
The cauliflower rice is a great way of consuming this humble veggie, because it doesn’t require intensive cooking such as boiling, which destroys most of its nutrients, and it can also be served raw.
Eating cauliflower have health benefits that should make us consider eating it more often. Cauliflower has anti-inflammatory properties and a supporting role for the immune system. B vitamins especially folate, omega 3 fatty acids, and fiber are also present in important concentrations in cauliflower.
It’s a complete dish on its own or it can be paired with a protein. I love just eating it a big bowl of this for lunch.
WHAT IS CAULIFLOWER RICE?
Cauliflower rice is simply cauliflower that has been chopped into tiny pieces to resemble grains of rice. You can buy fresh cauliflower rice in bags in the produce area, make it yourself, or buy it in the freezer section.
Cauliflower rice does taste a little like rice! it still makes a fabulous rice replacement, especially if you get the salt and seasonings right.
How to cut cauliflower to cauliflower rice
Whether you are making cauliflower rice in a food processor or using a box grater, you’ll want to cut it into large florets first.
Here is the easiest way to cut cauliflower rice:
Wash and trim your head of cauliflower of any brown spots.
Cut the cauliflower head into quarters. Just cut it in half, then in half again to make quarters.
Hold a quarter of the cauliflower head vertically and use a knife to slice of the woody center.
If the florets are still too big, you can cut them a bit smaller as needed.
I think the best way to make cauliflower rice is with a food processor – mostly because it’s so fast! You can easily rice an entire head of cauliflower in mere minutes.
Ingredients to make Cauliflower Rice
- Onion chopped
- Cloves garlic minced
- Fresh grated ginger
- Ground turmeric powder
- Full fat coconut milk
- Parsley chopped
- Red chile thinly sliced
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt & fresh pepper
How to make Keto Low Carb Tumeric Cauliflower Rice
- Make the cauliflower rice by cutting the head of cauliflower in quarters and grating them on the largest setting of a box grater, trying not to grate too much of the stalk. Avoid using frozen cauliflower rice as it’s too watery, and pre-grated rice from the produce section is mostly stalks, not tender florets.
- Pre-heat a large pan with high sides over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and then add the onions along with ¼ teaspoon salt and a couple cracks of pepper.
- Cook for 6 minutes then add the garlic and grated ginger. Cook for 2 minutes then add the turmeric powder and mix well. Cook for 45 seconds then add the coconut milk and mix well.
- Bring the milk to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, until it has reduced some.
- Add all the cauliflower rice along with ¼ teaspoon salt and a few cracks of pepper, mix very well. Place a lid, or sheet tray, on the pan and cook for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes check to see if the cauliflower is done to your liking, if not, cook another 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and add the coconut flakes, nuts, parsley, and red chiles. Mix well, check for seasoning, and enjoy!
This low carb turmeric and herb cauliflower rice recipe is perfect for the keto diet.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 189 | Total Fat 15 g 23 % | Saturated Fat 11 g 54 % | Cholesterol 0 mg 0 % | Sodium 261 mg 11 % | Potassium 63 mg 2 % | Total Carbohydrate 9 g 3 % | Protein 3 g 7 %