Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bars are a delicious fall treat that combines a rich, buttery shortbread crust with tart apples and a nutty crumble topping that is perfect for holiday parties!
These Paleo Apple Pie Crumb Bars are a delicious version of apple pie! Caramelized apples are layered on top of a sweet shortbread crust and then topped with an irresistible streusel topping. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan!
This quick and easy dessert recipe takes less than an hour from start to finish.
Fall is in the air. The mornings are cold and crisp. Almost all of the trees have begun their transformation from green to orange, red, and yellow. I am not a fan of cooler weather. But I love fall baking. The smell of apples and cinnamon baking is pure comfort. Once fall arrives, I start making lots of apple desserts.
Apple pie is one of my top favorite desserts. One of my favorite recipes combines shortbread and apples…how can that be wrong?
Your friends and family will be impressed with these easy apple pie bars. They have a simple shortbread crust, gooey cinnamon apple center, and a crunchy pecan streusel on top.
They are classic comfort food that will bring a smile to your face on a cool fall day.
Ingredients to make Apple Pie bars
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Sea Salt
- Diced apples
- Apple pie spices
- Arrowroot powder
- Water if needed
How to make Apple Pie Bars
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 9 inch square pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, make the shortbread. Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Divide the dough into 4th’s and use press 3/4 into the bottom of the pan and save the remaining 1/4 in a small bowl for the topping.
- Bake shortbread for 12-14 minutes- it should be lightly brown around the edges.
- While the shortbread bakes, make the apple layer. Place apples in a medium bowl and add apple pie spice, salt, and arrowroot powder. Toss to coat evenly. Dump into a small saucepan and add the maple syrup. Cook on medium heat, stirring the whole time until thickened- about 5-7 minutes.
- Once the shortbread is baked, remove and let cool 5 minutes. Then scoop the apple mixture onto the shortbread, spreading it as evenly as possible.
- Take the remaining 1/4 of the shortbread mixture and add the apple pie spice. Mix together and sprinkle evenly over the apple mixture. Press down slightly so it stays in place.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Enjoy warm and store all leftovers in the fridge.
These bars are so simple to make. The shortbread crust is tried and true and always comes out perfect. Everything is quickly mixed in one bowl, 3/4 of the mixture is pressed into a pan while the remaining 1/4 is saved for the crumb top. While that is baking you make the apple filling.
These bars will easily be enjoyed by everyone- whether they are paleo or not. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today if you can’t tell. I want you to make them! Seriously. DO IT!