Chocolate Oatmeal Breakfast is easy to make, delicious, and perfect for a make-ahead healthy breakfast! This easy vegan, gluten-free is perfect for busy mornings. The Perfect Oatmeal Recipe To Start Any Morning!
Oatmeal is a comforting, nutritious breakfast at any time of year, and lucky for us it’s simple to make! Many of us are always looking for an easy, cheap, and tasty breakfast recipe. You can make them ahead of time, it’s healthy, and will keep you full until lunch.
Oatmeal doesn’t have to be boring, you can top your bowl with fun toppings and enjoy a special bowl of oatmeal every single morning. Oatmeal Topping Ideas:
- Nut butters (cashew, peanut butter, almond butter)
- Dried fruit (raisins, dried cranberries, dried blueberries, dried cherries)
- Fresh fruit (chopped apples, pineapple, mango, berries, peaches, pomegranate seeds)
- Nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pistachios, pecans)
- Sweetener (honey, brown sugar, coconut sugar, maple syrup)
- Hemp hearts
Let me show one of my kids favorite breakfast: oatmeal. They love this so much that I do them as a snack. From stove-top oats to overnight oats, to slower cooker oats to oats in the Instant Pot…oatmeal (and Pancakes!) will forever be their breakfast of choice. And that’s because oats are:
- High in fiber and antioxidants
- 100% whole grain
- Gluten-free and vegan-friendly
- The best healthy breakfast ever
Top it with your favorite fruit to add more fiber and nuts for (filling) healthy fats.
So today I’m excited to share my tips and tricks to ensure you always have truly superior oatmeal at your breakfast table.
How to choose the right oats?
I like to make oatmeal with rolled oats. Often called old-fashioned oats, these are the oats you often reach for when making a regular bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. They’re made by steaming and rolling out the oat groat, so they’re flat and thin in nature and cook much more quickly than steel-cut oats.
Is Oatmeal gluten-free?
Oats are considered a gluten-free grain. The confusion comes in for folks with the packaging and processing of oats.
Oats are sometimes packaged in facilities that also package other grains containing gluten, in which case there could be cross-contamination. Be sure to buy gluten-free oats.
Ingredients to make Vegan Chocolate Oatmeal Breakfast
For the Oatmeal:
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled outs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Simple Truth Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Chocolate chips
- Peanut Butter
How to make the Best Vegan Chocolate OatmealBreakfast?
I like to make oatmeal on the stovetop, that is my preferred method, but if you are in a real morning rush, you can make oatmeal in the microwave.
On the Stovetop
- Bring the Water to A Boil. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil before you add the oat. This will keep the oats from absorbing too much water.
- Reduce the Heat. Turn down the heat so the water is at a gentle simmer and add the oats, cinnamon, and salt. I always add cinnamon because cinnamon and oatmeal are a must in my books. Also, don’t forget the salt. The salt will bring out the flavor in your oatmeal.
- Stir frequently. Stir the oats while they cook to make sure they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan and to make them nice and creamy.
- Cook. Cook the oats for about 10 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Turn Off the Heat. Stir in the milk and pure maple syrup. I like to use Simple Truth Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. I love the vanilla flavor it adds. To sweeten the oatmeal a little, I like to use pure maple syrup. You could also use brown sugar, honey, or coconut sugar. Or you don’t have to sweeten the oatmeal with anything, up to you!
In the Microwave:
Combine 1 cup water, 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and a pinch of salt in a 2-cup microwavable bowl. Microwave on High for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Stir before serving.
Can you Reheat Oatmeal?
Yes! If you have leftover oatmeal, don’t throw it away. Keep oatmeal in a container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Just wait to add your toppings until you are ready to eat.
When ready to reheat, add a splash of milk or water and reheat in the microwave. Add your toppings and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving
Calories 336 Fat 6g 9% Sodium 720mg 30% Potassium 293 mg 8% Carbohydrates 57g 19% Fiber 9g 36% Sugar 1g 1% Protein 11g 22% Calcium 18% Iron 3.7mg21%