These Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks are full of citrus flavor combine with a blend of spices. This easy chicken dinner is perfect for any night of the week.
These baked chicken drumsticks are marinated in a mixture of olive oil, lemon, garlic and herbs, then baked to golden brown perfection. Combine a few fresh ingredients with the chicken legs and bake in the oven in 30 minutes to create one of the best chicken drumstick recipes. Ans kids will love them too.
It´s October and now you’re back to our old routines. As I said before I have a full-time job teaching in a school, my two boys play football and my weekdays are crazy and wild days. Usually, I don’t have time to prepare very elaborate meals. So I try to keep everything planned and organized at the weekend with some meal prep so I don’t waste too much time in the kitchen on the days I work.
I love the kind of dinner where you can just stick a pan in the oven and walk away, it’s so much easier than a stove top dinner that requires more attention. These Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks are just perfect for me and my busy days!
Drumsticks are inexpensive, readily available and my kids love them. These baked chicken drumsticks are marinated, then roasted until golden brown. Lemon pepper is always a favorite seasoning so combine fresh lemon with ground black pepper and few additional spices to create these chicken drumsticks.
The drumsticks bake in 30 minutes and taste great with a variety of side dishes. Save leftovers and reheat throughout the week! It’s a dinner option that both the kids and adults will enjoy!
Ingredients to make Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks
- Chicken drumsticks bone in, skin on
- Kosher salt
- Dry oregano
- Black pepper
- Sweet paprika
- Garlic powder
- Medium yellow onion cut into wedges
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons + 1 lemon sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to make Lemon Pepper Chicken Drumsticks
- Pat chicken dry and season with kosher salt, be sure to season under the skin too. If you have the time, arrange the chicken on a tray or a shallow dish and chill in the fridge uncovered for a few hours or overnight (optional.)
Place the chicken in a large zip bag. In a small bowl, combine spices (oregano, black pepper, coriander, paprika.) Add the spices to the chicken in the bag.
- Add the garlic, onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, and olive oil. Zip the bag shut. Toss chicken around and massage to make sure it is well coated in the marinade. Let the chicken marinate for about 30 minutes, or if you have the time, refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- When ready, heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lightly oil a baking dish and arrange the chicken drumsticks (yes, include the onions and the marinade).
- Arrange lemon slices in between.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and its juices run clear (internal temperature of chicken should register 165 degrees F using an instant-read thermometer). If you like, broil for just a few minutes until skins are crispy to your liking.
How to season chicken drumsticks
An overnight marinade makes this chicken practically fall off the bone tender, however, if you don’t have overnight, you could go as little as 30 minutes. Just remember that the longer it marinates, the more tender it will be.
You can cook the chicken drumsticks right away or prepare these hours or a day before and allow them to marinate to allow the flavor to soak in.
Either way, I think you will love the recipe. I suggest you let it sit for 24 hours. The longer your chicken marinates the better the flavor will taste. I suggest 2-3 hours minimum before baking.
WHAT GOES GOOD WITH BAKED LEMON PEPPER CHICKEN?