Cucumber tomato salad is refreshing and easy low carb and whole30 side dish that’s perfect to throw together on a hot summer day!
This cucumber salad is something that I grew up eating a lot of, and I thoroughly enjoy it to this day. In my parents home, it was commonly enjoyed as a light, crisp, clean, and refreshing side salad with many different types of meals, lending that bit of cool crunch and a hint of tanginess that refreshes the palate.
This was a typical cucumber tomato salad recipe using pretty basic ingredients like cucumbers and tomatoes with a squeeze of vinegar, some salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
But now I want to add more flavors to this delicious salad and load it with fresh and tasty extras such as tomatoes, red onions, herbs, and avocado. This salad is toss with herbs and vinaigrette dressing. All of this became in an amazing combination of flavors and textures.
When summer comes I became a salad lover not only because they are easy to make, but they’re just so fresh, and you can eat a lot of salad without feeling weighed down! I especially love when there’s a summer get together and I get to make more than one delicious chilled salad like this one. And salad fits on almost every diet you follow: keto, paleo, weight watchers or paleo…
The good thing is that this salad is very easy and quick to make. Let’s see!
Ingredients to make a Cucumber Tomato Salad
Cucumbers (should be fresh and crunchy)
Tomatoes (Buy the best tomatoes you can find. It will make a huge difference. If the tomatoes are not fully ripe, leave them on a windowsill for a couple of days to ripen. You want them fully ripe, slightly soft, fragrant and juicy. Cut them into large chunks)
Red wine vinegar
Olive oil (extra virgin oil)
How to make Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Core the tomatoes, cut into wedges. Then cut each wedge in half crosswise. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl.
- Cut off the ends of the cucumbers. Using a vegetable peeler, make long stripes going top-down. Slice into 1/4″ thick slices slightly on the diagonal. Transfer to the bowl with the tomatoes.
- Cut the avocado in 4 quarters lengthwise and remove the pit. Gently remove the skin, then slice and add to tomatoes and cucumbers, along with the diced onion.
- To prepare the dressing, throw all of the dressing ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together vigorously, until well blended.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss gently using both hands. You can serve immediately or cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature until ready to serve. This salad only gets better with time.
The perfect light and refreshing side dish for any summer meal!