These easy Red Velvet Cake Valentine’s Hearts are topped with an abundance of cream cheese frosting and are velvety soft and smooth! A fun and festive, bite-sized treat for Valentine’s Day!
In less than three weeks it’s Valentine’s Day! It’s time to start thinking of the kind of desserts to treats we want to make on this day. If you want to make a homemade Valentine’s Cake for your sweetheart, but are a novice when it comes to baking, this recipe is for you.
There is always a good reason to bake some lovely heart-shaped desserts or any other pretty dessert served in individual portions. I simply couldn’t resist transforming another traditional dessert into cute, heart-shaped Valentine’s Day sweets.
However, I hope you’ll like them, too! Red Velvet Cake Valentine’s Hearts are super simple to make! This is my homemade Red Velvet Cake for Valentine’s Day. But feel free to prepare a box of red velvet cake mix, but you can choose any flavor: vanilla, strawberry or even chocolate. And you can use a box cake mix and canned cream cheese frosting.
Well, I made this as Valentine’s heart cake. And yet, you can make it any time of the year as a birthday cake, or any other celebration. If you are looking for Valentine’s Day inspiration or heart cake inspiration.
Ingredients to make Red Velvet Cake Valentine’s Hearts
- 225 g butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups caster sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup cocoa
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 tsp. red food coloring
- Cream cheese
- Heavy cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla extract
How to make Red Velvet Cake Valentine’s Hearts
- Pre-heat oven to 160 C (325 F).
- Add butter, sugar and vanilla extract to a bowl and beat with electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Add one egg at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the buttermilk, vinegar and red food coloring and beat until smooth.
- In separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing after each addition.
- Line a heart-shape cake pan (or two 20 cm (8 inch) round cake pans) with non-stick baking paper. Pour the cake batter into the pan and smooth the top with a palette knife.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a toothpick or skewer. Let cool on a wire wrack.
- To prepare the cream cheese frosting combine cream cheese with vanilla extract. Beat on high with an electric mixer . Gradually add the heavy cream and powdered sugar until the texture is shiny and smooth.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter*, cut the cake into about 10-12 hearts.
- Top with cream cheese frosting and drizzle with your favorite Valentine sprinkles.
- Now serve to your favorite Valentine!